I know, it’s still pretty hot here in South Carolina. As we start to come out of summer though, and the temperatures begin to cool expect to start seeing more earwigs inside the house. Earwigs do prefer to be outdoors. Earwigs live under rocks, paving stones, fallen trees, wooden garden borders, and anywhere else that is dark and damp. They will emerge at night to feed on other insects and plants. As it begins to get cooler though they will begin to move indoors in search of food. Unfortunately, this means we need to prepare because your home is a prime target.
Earwig related issues
There are lot of old wives tales and stories about the earwig. Earwigs are not poisonous, they don’t look for ears to crawl into and they don’t want target your brain with their pincers. The thing you should worry about is your plants or seedlings. These are a great food source for earwigs.
Even though earwigs don’t target humans, we still should be careful if handling them. If startled or threatened they could pierce your skin with their pincers. At most this will cause a little discomfort and irritation. There is no need to worry though they don’t carry diseases.
What can you do to prepare for earwigs
Here are some things you can do to help get rid of or keep earwigs from coming into your home. Starting outside and moving our way into the home.
- Move outdoor lighting away from the house or leave porch lights off. Lights are a big invitation to many insects, not just earwigs.
- Move firewood, debris, and mulch beds away from the house.
- Make sure water flows away from your home’s foundation and repair any downspouts or gutters that may be clogged or damaged.
- Fix any leaks or ventilation issues that are causing moisture issues in the home.
- Clean up often by sweeping, vacuuming, and mopping.
- Use dehumidifiers in moist or damp areas of the home.
- Let your pest control professional know you are dealing with an earwig issue.
If you’ve done these things you will surely reduce the threat of an earwig invasion this fall. If for some reason you still do have issues with earwigs, don’t hesitate to call Walker Pest Management. Walker Pest Management is prepared to battle for you and your home. We have the knowledge and training to eliminate the threat. Our interior/exterior treatment is guaranteed against earwigs, as well as many other common insects. If you are ready for help you can reach us by email from our Contact Page or call us Toll-Free (866) 442-7378 and one of our customer service professionals will help you schedule a service that is convenient for you. We look forward to hearing from you!